According to the National Statistics Institute, 30% of deaths are caused by this disease, making it the leading cause of death in Spain. And, arterial hypertension, which affects more than ten million adults in our country, increases the risk of stroke, heart failure, myocardial infarction, kidney failure, aneurysms and death.
Hypertension usually is a disease that has no symptoms in its early stages. It is essential that control by frequent measurements. Therefore, the Spanish Society of Geriatrics and Gerontology proposes this measure blood Decalogue to properly at home. Notes
- Check the cuff size is right for the size of the arm.
- Do not smoke, do exercise or ingest sip coffee before stress, and that the figures could be conditioned, thus obtaining a false result.
- Rest at least five minutes before realizarte measurement.
- Measure your tension is always at the same time. Ideally, during the early morning hours, when levels are higher.
- The temperature of the room is important, should be at a medium temperature (between 18-22 ° C).
- Take the measurement with the arm in a horizontal position at heart level, standing on a table or chair arm.
- Place the cuff around your bare arm, between shoulder and elbow, and legs slightly open.
- As you take the voltage does not speak or move.
- Voltage is always measured in both arms, and stay with the higher figure.
- Repeat the test five minutes after the first.